Sunday, May 27, 2007

Exposure experiment

So this is what I understand about the grey card. It helps the computer choose a true black, white, and neutral . . . and here is where I lose steam. Does this help set the white balance (which I understand as the color value) or does it help poperly expose the picture? And most importantly, am I total idiot because I don't know that answer? Feel free NOT to answer that last one, 'kay?

So what I did is use the card at the back of Scott Kelby's book. Had Emily hold in when I was shooting the picture. (Not in raw. Maybe I should have been?) Then when I opened the pictures, I chose one with the card in it. I opened a new Curves adjustment layer, used the black eyedropper on the black, white on white, and grey on the dark grey. I then upped the middle of the curve slightly to brighten it up a bit. Saved the curves settings. So when I opened another with the same lighting, I loaded the prior adjustment.

First picture is the original, second w/adjustment. Be brutal with me. Did it work? What does it mean again (wb or exposure)? And is this the correct process?

TIA!

3 comments:

Ingrid said...

The way I understand it (and keep in mind I have about 6 seconds of experience) is that the grey card affects white balance. Here's how I do it with my dRebel XT. Take a full frame picture of your card in the same area where you'll be taking the shot of the intended subject. Then in my camera I go to White Balance - choose Custom White Balance - hit Set (the last picture I've taken pops up - the full frame card) - hit Set again and voila! your white balance now has the custom setting of your card. It makes SUCH a difference to the colour balance of my photographs and only takes a few seconds to do. You'll get quick at it too. I hope that explanation makes sense - it's tricky to describe camera stuff sometimes I find... GOOD LUCK!

Jenny said...

I'm no good at the whole grey card thing, but I did want to tell you that it looks like it helped you here. The SOOC shot is a little flat in the coloring. The adjusted shot is much better with better skin tones IMO. Grey cards are something I need to work on for sure.

AnneMarie said...

you can set a custom white balance with the card.