Monday, January 1, 2007

January 1 POTD

OK. So here are my issues with photography. I don't know enough about shooting in manual. I don't know all of the photography jargon. I oftentimes deal with fuzzy, unfocused pictures. The pictures I take look properly lighted on the camera, but when I load them onto the computer, they are dark. Therefore when I got to edit them they are grainy. And I set the camera on 1600 ISO way too often, to get the proper focus. In short, I suck. But I will get better. That's what this blog/challenge is for. A place for me to get my photographic act together. Wish me luck!

I photograph people. Period. I'm sure I'll try some things with this challenge, but people are my main focus.

Played with the camera today. Jen decided to play dress-up. What a high maintenance gal! Then we played outside. Here are my two favorites (and I can post two if I want to, right?)

The first is using a 50mm f1.8 lens (and I have no idea if I'm giving that stat in the correct order. I'm that dumb). Shooting in manual, next to an open window, overcast day. ISO 800, 1/250 exposure. WHat I like? The focus on her eyes, everything else fading away. What I don't like? Color cast (seems yellow), and sharpness of focal point. I assume I am not supposed to Photoshop (and I use Elements 4.0) so this is it.

Second photo is outdoors. Same overcast day. I used a kit lens (DRebel). Shooting in manual, ISO of 800, exposure 1/50, focal length of 55 mm, f/5.6. And BTW, I'm getting all of this info from Photoshop.

19 comments:

Ingrid said...

Hey I'm a newbie to photography as well so while I can't give any cc I can say that I love the second photo. It looks focussed to me and I love the expression on her face. Well done!

Unknown said...

Beautiful girl!! Great captures.

Krissynae said...

I am also a newbie and still shoot in AUTO... I think Number 1 would look so cute in a princess frame or a fairytale border. Can't wait to see more.

Sheri said...

looks good.
ps- sounds like your camera would do well with you "telling" it to overexpose by one stop. Check your manual, but you should be able to adjust it- so that where it THINKS it's properly exposed, it goes one more. That should help w them looking fine on camera, but dark when you process.
Also, you can bring your iso down some and eliminate SOME noise/grain.. you just want your shutter speeds to be above 1/60... your example has you at 800 iso and then a ss of 1/250.. you could've brought your iso down to like 600 or 400 and still had enough speed- but it wouldn't have been as noisy.
I think you're doing well!! (and I am certainly NO expert, so please don't think I'm being all "ms know-it-all"!)

Jane H said...

I think you are doing pretty good. You are shooting at an awfully high ISO you might want to try to bring it down a little.

Anonymous said...

Everyone had the suggestions I did, but I will just add a good job!

Jenny said...

Cute pics. I especially love #2.

Itworksforbobbi said...

Great job! I'm a portrait girl too, not too many photos that aren't of people (of course my Jan 1. entry in this challenge happens to be a cityscape go figure!). Can't wait to see more! PS. I agree with Sheri - you could probably lower your ISO to get rid of some grain, and maybe up your f stop if you want greater DOF - hence more sharpness to the photo (although I love to focus on the eyes and let the rest of the photo "fade away" as well).

Tammy said...

I really like the second photo. It looks very natural. Great job!

~JustJulie~ said...

I think your photos are very cute and I especially love the second one. I'm pretty new to this whole photography thing, too. I can't wait to learn more. I just got the 50mm f1.8 for Christmas, but I have to say, that I have the same focus issues, so I'm trying to stay around 2.8 or above until I get a better grasp on DOF. We can learn together, right?

jordan.krogman said...

You're doing a great job; it's scary being a beginner, isn't it?! Looks like you're picking things up quickly. . . you've got great subjects to practice on! TFS! Jordan
http://jordankrogmanphotography.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Beautiful photos!! Always love seeing photos from you :)

Kathy said...

That bottom one is precious! Like you most of my photos are of people. I think with this challenge I will learn to do other objects. I also need to learn a whole bunch and get off the dummy mode I've come to love.
You are off to a great start.

Haleigh said...

Beautiful shots and beautiful girl. These shots look a little soft, but great nonetheless.

Dorothy said...

It's all about the learning!! I'm new at manual, and quite frankly, it scares me! :) That's why I'm in the challenge... to make myself try new things & improve my photos!

I agree about the eyes in the first shot... love how everything else looks soft. And that second shot is just precious! Love how her hair just falls so softly around her face & hat!

Dee Marie said...

The good new is - you have the eye already(great framing), the technical stuff will fall into place with enough practice. And what better way to practice than with the POTD challenge.

Definitely try a lower ISO if you can afford to. Sometimes a high ISO just can't be helped, but outside you should be able to get away with 400 or above, even with an overcast day.

Nice first post - she is a cutie.

Unknown said...

These are great, especially the second one. Lucky you to have such a lovely subject to complete this challenge with.

Rose

Tiff said...

Newbie to SLR as well.
I think you did a great job!

ibecks said...

There may be a very simple solution - many cameras LCD screens are set too bright by default. Consequently people get a false impression of the picture they've taken until they get it onto the computer and realise it's too dark. I set my LCD to -1 brightness and I now get a more accurate idea of what I've taken. Personally I go by the histogram for the most part.

Anyway, you have a lovely model and good photos - I hope you enjoy the '07 challenge and I look forward to seeing more shots soon.