Thursday, January 4, 2007

POTD #4

Here is one NOT of a person. Imagine that! ;) I spent some time messing around with the ISO - Shutter - Aperature stuff. I think I have a basic (and I mean seriously BASIC) idea of this trio. Where I run into major problems is when I am shooting a living, moving object. But dangit, I will learn this!

This pic is from a mini tree that belongs to my oldest DD, that I suspect will be up until sometime this summer. She's a college student. I used my 50 mm f/1.8 lens, shooting in manual. ISO was 400, and exposure was 1/5 s at f/4. Absolutely no photo editing.

A very special thank you to Amanda who is trying to help me out with my issues. (Good luck, Amanda! LOL!)

11 comments:

. said...

It is so much easier when they don't move-isn't it? LOL! Very nice capture.

justem said...

Very cool! Love the tree in the background!

Anonymous said...

Nice picture...I'm working on those things also. Maybe I need to quit chasing my kids around with the camera and find something that doesn't move also!

Debbie said...

Nice picture. I think I need to pick some nonmoving object to learn on, also.

Rebecca said...

Beautiful. Yep non-moving subjects are soooo much easier!

Krissynae said...

Love the ornament. Cool shot.

Amanda said...

You're welcome and thank you for the sweet mention! You will get this, dang it! I promise!
BTW... practicing on still objects is a great idea! Keep it up!

Jenn said...

Great picture. Love how the tree looks in the back. I did some like that for my banner but yours looks better:)

Patti said...

Lovely pic. LOL about the non-moving subects, That's why I like landscapes - they doing move and they don't pull funny faces.
Don't stress, you will get it. The trick is to take lots of pics. Try changing one thing at a time. ie take pics of something keeping the iso and ss the same but changing the aperture, then do the same for the others. This will give you an appreciation of the difference each setting makes. I too about 100 pics of an artichoke before I got it.

All the best

Jill Marie Paulson said...

personally, Kay...I think you are way to hard on yourself...part of what I've always loved about your layouts is your photos. It's great that you are trying to learn more and refine your skill (i should be too), but you are already a great photography!!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! I have to ditto what Jillmarie said above me here. Your photos are already wonderful, it is great that you are inproving your craft, but you are by far a great photographer to begin with!!