Wednesday, January 3, 2007

POTD #3

What a shocker, another soft picture.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Let me summarize what I've heard. I am having two major issues. One, the pics I take are NOT sharp. Not at all. Two, the images are MUCH darker on the computer than they appear on the LCD. Possible reasons include maybe I'm pulling the camera away too soon (focus). (VERY possible because I get anxious to see the result on screen, and I'm MONDO frustrated right now.) ISO is too high, so I'm shooting lower now. Too slow of a shutter speed. (When I tried for 1/250, the images were DARK.) I should set the camera to underexpose the image, or turn down the brightness of the LCD. And it makes sense to me to try one of these things, then experiment, rather than all of them at one. What do you think first. Adjusting the exposure on the camera? Or the brightness of the LCD? I'm so lost.

Camera specs - Manual, using 1.8 50 mm fixed lens. ISO of 400, shutter speed of 1/25. When I went any higher, it got DARK. What up with that?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful photo.

Me said...

I can see that the focus fell on the doll's hair. Her hair is tack sharp. Regardless, the capture is a treasure. Keep practicing. Is your monitor calibrated? That might be part of your problem.

Krissynae said...

please don't be frustrated. I love your girls pictures

Jennifer said...

Adorable photo! All that photo mumbo jumbo, lol, is why I have yet to swith to a SLR. I am afraid i will totally not get it, you know! Looks like you are though, great photo!

Ingrid said...

I don't know what to suggest but I still like the image. Chin up!

meliss said...

Great photo. I love what the sunlight does to this photo. She is glowing.

justem said...

Very sweet. I love your lighting.

Sheri said...

oh the lcd brightness is a good suggestion if there's a big diff btwn what you're seeing on camera and on screen.
are you shooting fully manual? is that what i saw? and if so, when you adjust your settings, are you setting them directly on zero?
what if you try and set it where it says +1 or +2?

Heidi said...

Don't get frustrated. :) You can't go wrong with such a cute subject. Keep practicing! :)

Rebecca said...

Don't give up! Also, don't rely on your LCD, it's nice to have it to see if you "got" the shot but as far as exposure, it's not reliable. The Histogram is a wonderful tool to determine if your scene is under or over exposed, but I wouldn't even worry about that right now until you have the basics down.

Just play with your camera. Grab it and take the same picture 20 different times all with different settings. Notice how your shutter speed and f/stops change the exposure of the photo. Look INSIDE your camera's view finder at the meter (it looks like a little ruler/line graph with tick marks on either side of "zero") this is your camera's meter. You want to make sure the tick mark is set to zero -

(Camera specs - Manual, using 1.8 50 mm fixed lens. ISO of 400, shutter speed of 1/25. When I went any higher, it got DARK. What up with that?)

If you notice you have light coming only from one direction, her right side. So, the right side of the picture has enough light but there is no light reaching the dolly or the left side of you dd's face. Photography is about light, how much light is on your subject, how much light enters the camera lens (aperture), how LONG light exposes your film/sensors (shutter speed) and how sensitive your camera is when it's recording the light (ISO)(<--I kinda made the last one up for lack of better explanation) They all work together!

Your ISO is not too high, it's not high enough. If you bump your ISO to 800 - 1600 you can get a faster ss, which you need for a crisper picture. BUT I think your main prob here is finding the light, try moving your daughter to a different angle in the same area and see what happens.

Debbie said...

Very sweet photo!